Bullet time setup

Operating SDM
gu11ywalk

Bullet time setup

Postby gu11ywalk » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello knowledgable people at SDM,

I have been making gifs for a few years while using a 35mm camera with 4 lens' to create stereo gifs or wobble gifs as some people call them. I now want to try to replicate this using a series of digital cameras.

this sort of thing:

https://media.giphy.com/media/KRJoF49wVwrIs/giphy.gif

My original plan was to use a bunch of low level of DSLR's but after reading this forum I realise my best bet is to stick with a canon point and shoot the Canon G9 12 mp camera looks like a winner to me as it has a hot shoe so I can use off camera flash. It is also compatible with SDM.

I have done a fair bit of homework now but I am still finding it quite overwhelming.

I plan on making a camera trigger to fire the cameras shutters simultaneously I've watched a few youtube vids and it seems like I could probably handle that.

So I need to install SDM onto the SD card's of all 8 cameras then mount them all to a bracket.

Is there anything I am missing? And is the G9 my best bet for this application? I want something with a hot shoe the higher quality the better. I am hoping to use x8 cameras. I am worried I'll get inconsistent results as the only place I can find a G9 is Ebay. Im happy to pay a bit more if theres a better alternative.

Any insight from someone who knows more before i start buying up cameras would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

3dreal

Re: Bullet time setup

Postby 3dreal » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:02 am

we have a Stereodatamaker-yahoo-list. maybe more people reading there.

Depthcam

Postby Depthcam » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 am

> I realize my best bet is to stick with a canon point and shoot

Correct !

> the Canon G9 12 mp camera looks like a winner to me as it has a hot shoe so I can use off camera flash. It is also compatible with SDM.

Honestly, I think using a G9 for this is overkill. I put together an 11-cam rig using low-cost SD1100's and others have used models such as the SD1200 or SD1300. In fact one of our most advanced users who has put together a 50-cam rig uses the "lowly" A480 and yet produces some of the most amazing "holographic" images...

Another advantage of the smaller compacts is they allow you to put the cameras closer together. The G9 is a larger camera so results in more space between the lenses and also a much heavier rig.

> as it has a hot shoe so I can use off camera flash

It's possible to shoot with off-camera flash with any SDM ported camera.

> Is there anything I am missing?

Try and avoid cameras with different firmware and make sure that the firmware in your cameras has been ported to CHDK. (Cameras with different firmware will work together but it is a hassle when you have an 8-cam rig that requires three different SDM builds)

> Im happy to pay a bit more if theres a better alternative.

The kind of result you posted is easily achieved even with the lowest-end compact. So there's no point in wasting your money on more expensive equipment that will not really provide better results.

(P.S.: I have been using SDM for nine years...)

Francois

aluminumwelder

Postby aluminumwelder » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:47 am

I want to do this too at events. I'm totally new to SDM and CHDK, but it seems CHDK has the advantage of supporting Picture transfer protocal (PTP) which means you can dowload all images to a pc for instant gif creation.
correct me if I"m wrong but with SDM you need to manually download all images one by one off each camera?

WBL

Postby WBL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 pm

PTP could be implemented to SDM on request - but therefore you need a special USB cable where you can switch between data transfer and remote control - since the remote control is for most SDM users more important than transfering the pictures this was not added to SDM.

correct me if I"m wrong but with SDM you need to manually download all images one by one off each camera?

First of all you need to make a Connection to the PC e.g via a USB cable - the you can activate data transfer and use e.g the WIA loader to transfer all images from each camera. Using PTP instead would not speed up this process at all.

There is another good solution for such a situation: use WiFi SD cards and permanently connect them via a WiFi access point - each time a new image is saved on the SD card it will transfer it autmatically to your PC (into a specified folder separated for each camera) as long as the PC software is running - so activating the transfer software from time to time when doing time lapse all not yet transferred images will be copied in that session till all files are transferred.

greetings
Werner

Depthcam

Postby Depthcam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 am

aluminumwelder wrote:I want to do this too at events. I'm totally new to SDM and CHDK, but it seems CHDK has the advantage of supporting Picture transfer protocal (PTP) which means you can dowload all images to a pc for instant gif creation.

If you are going to use mutiple cameras, SDM offers much more versatility.

As Werner said, you can do this with WiFi cards. David was telling me not long ago that one multicam user was doing exactly that.

If you have never used SDM before, your best bet is to start out with two low-cost cameras just to familiarize yourself with it. Also, in regards to "instant gif creation": It's never instant in that images from one camera to another are never in perfect register. Therefore, you will have to use an alignment program and even then you might get jumpy results and you may then need to tweak the alignment further. Another thing to consider is a program that adds in-between images for a smoother flow.

Francois

Return to “Operating SDM”